- 1 small package fresh baby spinach (7 oz)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 T olive oil or lard
- 1-3 cloves fresh or fermented garlic, finely chopped
- 1-2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese (optional but highly recommended)
- 2-14-oz cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/8 tsp turmeric (optional)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup yogurt or cream (optional)
In large skillet sautee onions in oil until carmelized. Add spinach and cook until just wilted, stirring. Place spinach and onions in mixing bowl. Add chopped garlic to pan and brown for a couple of minutes. Add garlic to spinach and onions. Combine the rest of the ingredients with spinach mixture. Pour into greased 2-quart casserole dish and cook for 30-40 minutes in 400 degree oven until bubbly and lightly browned on top.
Alternative: Bake in individual greased ramekins. Adjust baking time accordingly. Remember, bubbly in center and lightly browned on top.
I have made this with the yogurt/cream and without. Both are very good.
I used my convection oven setting on my toaster oven, 450 degrees for about 20-30 minutes.
Spoon into small bowls and serve with organic tortilla chips.